Thursday, December 30, 2010

Papa

Today, another close relative passed away. A pretty old uncle who had spent much of his last years of his life in weakness and loneliness.
I myself was not too close with him, although he was known as a friendly figure. To all my siblings, he was even known as "papa". He loved joking around and making fun of people. Of course, in polite and friendly ways.
Even in his old age, things like those still applied to him. It might be because he had spent his younger years in abroad.

Then why was I not close to him like everyone else?
Perhaps the reason was me. Many think that I have a tendency to exaggerate what might be a minor problem. And there might be some minor thing between me and him which had made us apart. On his last days, as he laid helplessly on the bed in the hospital for more than a week, I was not motivated to see him. Even when a close cousin had planned to visit him and asked me to join him, I rejected the offer right away.

What ever he did to me on the day when my dad passed away, although some may consider it as such an simple case, had shown another side of him. One thing that hurt my feelings just when I was in grief. What hurt even more was that he only did it to me and not to any of my siblings.

So what was the deal that I got to be the only one who was treated that way? I never found out the reason cause the pain I felt in my heart and my stubbornness had prevented myself from conducting an investigation on it. And now everything will only be a mystery he's taking with him to his new life. But whatever its reason, no matter how sore my heart caused by his action, I will always respect him. A relative who had a special place in my life.

Farewell Papa. May my prayers always be with you.